London Transport Advice

As part of your program fee, travel through zones 1-2 will be paid for by SU London. To enjoy this benefit, you must first apply for an 18+student Oyster Photocard (details of how to apply are below).

How to benefit from this offer:

  1. You must apply for the 18+student Oyster card. This offer is not available for the regular oyster card.
  2. After you have received your new 18+student Oyster card, set up an online TfL account, by clicking here.
  3. Once your online account is set up, visit Fiona Slaven ( or Julia Sheehan ( in SR 106 or Nada Silman ( in SR 109 so that transport within zones 1-2 for the duration of your semester can be paid for.

How to apply for the 18+Student Oyster Card:

Before you begin your application, make sure you have a digital photo that complies with these conditions:
Photographs uploaded onto the website must be a standard passport photo.  Your passport photo must be either .jpg, .bmp or .gif , have a file size not exceeding 1mb and have a resolution of at least 300dpi. Most passport photos comply with these criteria.

To submit your application for a student discount oyster card, simply go to, and under ‘students and children,’ click on ‘18+student’ and follow the instructions from there.

Our establishment is Syracuse University London Program

The website will prompt you through the next few steps (personal details, etc.)

NAME – On your application you need to use the name you registered with your education establishment, because any variant of your name may not be recognized by your establishment and your application could be rejected.

ADDRESS—We advise you send your card directly to Faraday House (48-51 Old Gloucester Street, London WC1N 3AE).

NOTE—For ‘Town’, you should enter LONDON, ‘City/County’ can be left blank.

ENROLLMENT NUMBER—is your 9-digit SU ID number. If you’re from a different home school (Wake Forest, etc.), you can find your SU ID in the information provided by SU Abroad.

You are all FULL-TIME STUDENTS. Please enter the correct dates of your semester here in London.

IMPORTANT—When entering the billing address for your credit card, make sure you only enter the street NAME on the first line, then NUMBER on the second line.

PAYMENT: You must have a credit card to pay the processing fee.

After you’ve entered all your data, make sure to check that the details are correct and then print your receipt. Your card should arrive 5-7 working days after you complete the application.

Please note when dating any British documents that we date our documents in this order: DDMMYYY (date/month/year).


Transport for London (TfL)
London Underground
London Buses

To enter stations and busses, passengers can purchase paper tickers or use “Oyster cards” – stored-value contactless smart cards. SU London is able to offer student discounts on weekly and monthly Oyster card rates. More information on this is available below.

Both the Tube and bus networks are extensive and easy to use. While there are some bus routes that operate 24 hours a day, please note that the Tube is normally closed from approximately 1.00am to 5.30am.


Tube maps are available on TfL’s website. The closest Tube station to Faraday House is Holborn Station on the Piccadilly and Central lines.
Bus maps are also available on TfL’s website. Faraday House is close to several bus lines.
You can plan your trip on London’s public transportation lines using TfL’s Journey Planner.

Stay on top of the latest station closures:

Student Discount Oyster Cards

SU London is a member of a scheme which allows our students to apply for a 30% discount on the price of weekly and monthly Oyster travel card plans. You can apply for your student discount Oyster at:

You will need SU London’s Student Discount registration number. This will be emailed to you along with more detailed instructions on the application process before you arrive.

Your student Oyster will be in the form of a photocard. Travelcards, which are the alternative to pay-as-you-go top ups, allow for unlimited Tube and bus travel within the specified zones and time-span.

Take a look at TfL’s master guide to student travel fares here.


Should you need a taxi service, there are a few things to be aware of and several resources to draw upon to ensure safe, legal travel. The only taxi that may legally pick up passengers after being hailed on the street are licensed taxis, otherwise known as black cabs. Fares in taxis are metered. You may tip what you wish, but most people round up to the nearest pound. Keep in mind that not all taxi drivers will have exact change.

Taxis may either be called on the street or found at one of the many dedicated taxi ranks throughout the city. TfL maintains a comprehensive list of taxi rank locations. Alternatively, you can book a taxi in advance. If someone approaches you and asks if you need a cab or taxi – do not accept their offers under any circumstances.

Transportation Costs

For a more detailed breakdown of transport in and around London, read our Transport Costs page.