Our Love London Weekend
Spring 2013 Students: get ready for a LOVE LONDON weekend!
Get out and explore London with us from Thursday the 31st of January to Sunday the 3rd of February! From Shakespeare to food markets, from The Tower of London to Little Venice: there is something for everyone... all at dramatically discounted prices! There will be a group sign-up session on Thursday, 24 January starting at 12:30pm in the student lounge in the Faraday House. Mark your calendars and be as prompt as possible -- spots will go quickly!
Many events are FREE, however we do require a £10 deposit for you to secure your place. In most cases, you will receive your deposit back at the activity. All events are well-subsidized in order for you to take full advantage of this weekend! Performances and some events with admissions have ticket costs which are non-refundable.
Have a glance at our lineup below and get ready to Love London!
Thursday, 31 January
• See Billy Elliot, The Musical at the Victoria Palace Theatre (nearest tube stop is Victoria). The show starts at 7:30 pm. £20 per ticket.
• Take in Shakespeare's masterpiece Richard III at the Apollo Shaftesbury Theatre. The show starts at 7:30pm. £15 per ticket.
• Watch the brilliant and captivating Companhia de Dança Deborah Colker Tatyana at the Barbican Centre. The show starts at 7:45pm. £10 per ticket.
Back to top
Friday, 1 February
• Tour of the legendary Tower of London with SU London's own legend, Professor Norman Reuter. Meet at Tower Hill tube station at 10:30am. Free/£10 refundable deposit.
• Stroll along the South Bank (home to the London Eye and Royal Festival Hall) with SU London professor Ian Hessenberg. Meet at Embankment tube station at 10:30am. Free/£10 refundable deposit.
• Tour the Fuller's Griffin Brewery in Chiswick to see how your favourite amber nectar is made and sample some of the wares. Tour starts at 11:00am. £5 per ticket.
• Join us for a shopping/eating trip to Borough Market, the liveliest outdoor foodie market in London. Enjoy tasty treats from around the world! Meet Linda and Michele in the reception area of Faraday House at 2:00pm. Free/No deposit.
• Tour one of London's most famous sites, Westminster Abbey, with Professor Norman Reuter at 2:00pm. Free/£10 refundable deposit.
• Tour another of London's olderst and most beautiful churches, St. Paul's Cathedral, and explore the nearby "City" section of London with David Mildon. Meet outside St Paul's tube station (take the exit for St Paul's) near the Cafe Nero at 2:00pm. Free/£10 refundable deposit.
• Watch an exciting round of Greyhound Dog Racing at Wimbledon! Coach departs Faraday at 6:15pm to arrive in time for the first race. £5 per ticket.
• See the stirring ballet, Onegin, at the famous Royal Opera House in Covent Garden. The show starts at 7:30pm. £15 per ticket.
• The London Philharmonic Orchestra tackles Debussy & Sebelius at the Royal Festival Hall on the Southbank. The show starts at 7:30pm. £2 per ticket.
Back to top
Saturday, 2 January
• Get on a bike and enjoy a guided bicycle ride-tour around central London. What better way to cover our massive city than to zip around on a bike? Tour cycles away at 10:30am. £5 cost for the bike rental.
• Go behind the scenes with a backstage tour of the famous Royal Opera House in Covent Garden. Tour begins at 11:00am. £5 per ticket
• Shop Till You Drop! Join retail guru Leonard Wiltshire for Retail 101 as he takes you for a look at London's best department stores. The fun begins at 11:00am - meet at Faraday House. Free/£10 refundable deposit.
• Take in Shakespeare's masterpiece Richard III at the Apollo Shaftesbury Theatre. The show starts at 2:00pm. £15 per ticket.
• Tour the internationally recognized Houses of Parliament! Tour begins at 2:45pm, but students must arrive 20 minutes beforehand to go through security checkpoints. £5 per ticket.
• Ahead of your trip aboard the London Eye (see next bullet point), take a London Eye River Cruise along the Thames! The cruise begins at 3:45pm and will be done in time for your London Eye flight. £5 per ticket.
• Get a bird's-eye view of your new home on the world-famous London Eye! Your 5:00pm flight in a private pod for SU London students checks in at 4:30pm. £15 per ticket.
Sunday, 3 February
• See your new city from the top of the newly completed tallest-building in the European Union: The Shard. Ascend the building at 9:30am. £15 per ticket
• Tour the charming and iconic Albertopolis area of Kensington, home to museums, universities, charming streets and grand monuments. Meet Professor Christopher Cook at the ticket desk of the Royal Albert Hall at 11:30am. Free/£10 deposit
• We have a feeling this may be popular... fancy a tour of the Harry Potter studios? We'll depart at Faraday House at noon for a 2:00pm tour. £20 per ticket
• See the wildly entertaining Cirque du Soleil's KOOZA at the Royal Albert Hall! The show starts at 3:00pm. £15 per ticket (please note: these are tickets for the standing area)
• Enjoy afternoon tea with Professor Cook in one of London's most picturesque (and least-explored) neighbourhoods -- Little Venice. The ultimate British experience begins at 4:00pm. Free/£10 deposit
• Finish the weekend by taking an open-top bus tour of the city! Departs from the Bulleid Way bus terminal at Victoria Station at 7:45pm. £5 per ticket
Back to top
For more info on Love London:
View our upcoming events
Check out upcoming SU London events, trips, academic deadlines & holidays on our calendar on the SU Events page.